Sunday, July 8, 2007

Rules

This book kept surprising me... particularly how I was unable to put it down until I finished reading it. I had heard the book was about autism (and knew that author Cynthia Lord has an autistic son). But really, that is only one part of this incredibly dynamic book. It isn't preachy, it isn't filled with beat-you-over-the-head lessons and morals... it's about accepting who you are (and accepting the people around you for who they are.) It's also about how important words are... and how easy they are to take for granted.

I love the protagonist Catherine... and how human she is. And her brother David is so well described that you really feel like it's like to live with someone autistic. Catherine's and David's parents are terrifically portrayed... not as saints, but as believable and realistic people.

I must admit, though, that wheelchair-bound Jason was my favorite character, he just kept getting more interesting and I couldn't wait for the next chapter with him in it.

This is a compulsively readable joy of a book... I can't say enough good things about it. A few things to keep in mind...
  • This is Cynthia Lord's FIRST novel. WOW!
  • It received an extremely prestigious Newbery Honor.
  • It also received the Schneider Family Book Award which honors children's books about disabilities.
  • It's fantastic.
If you're interested in more about Cynthia Lord, check out her website and her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment