Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Fictional schools

In the comments of this post, Jen Robinson mentioned a meme that went around a while ago, which asked what fictional schools you would like to attend. I'm not doing this as an actual meme since it already made the rounds, but I thought it was the perfect thing to write about today because it's my last day of class for the semester.

Fictional schools I would like to go to:
  • Hogwarts. Yeah, I know it's a shock. But it would be cool, wouldn't it?
  • Redmond College... the school that Anne (and Gilbert, Stella, Priscilla and Phil) attend in Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery. Now that I've been to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, I'm fairly certain that Redmond is based on Dalhousie University.
  • The Plumfield Estate School that Jo and Fritz run in Little Men by Louisa May Alcott.
Schools I would not like to attend:
  • The Catholic Academy in Salt Lake City that Tom attends in The Great Brain at the Academy by John D. Fitzgerald.
And, as an after school activity, I'd like to visit Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's house.

7 comments:

  1. I also would love to go to Hogwarts and Redmond. I've read Anne of the Island more than all the other Anne books because I love reading about her college life and living with the other girls. I so wanted to live at Patty's Place with them and go to all the fun Redmond's functions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cary's Girl- I love Anne of the Island... it's probably my favorite in the series. (Although, I'm also a big fan of Anne's House of Dreams).
    Wouldn't it be great to live in Patty's Place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go live with you all at Patty's Place. I love that book, too. Hmmm... maybe that book helped make me comfortable with the idea of going away to college (which I certainly was). And Hogwarts, sure, that goes without saying. I want one of those tower dorm rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty's Place has always sounded wonderful to me. And, a woman going to college (particularly one from a rural area) was not exactly the norm when the book was published in 1915. I think it's impressive that L.M. Montgomery wrote about it at the time (and I think she wrote about it because she went to Dalhousie herself in 1895.)

    Hogwarts would be a great place to live. The beds, the food... it all sounds terrific. Although, I have a question about the tower rooms. Harry and the other boys in his year get the highest room in the tower... EVERY year. Wouldn't the dorm rooms switch depending on what grade you were in? No else gets the highest tower room for the seven years Harry is there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I wondered about that, too. The only thing I can think of is that everyone gets the same room for all seven years. So new kids starting after Harry's class leaves would also get that tower room. It was just a lucky break that happens to every 7th class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Schools I would like to attend... the college that Judy Abbott attends in Daddy Longlegs...

    Schools I would NOT like to attend: Matilda's school while it was run by the Trunchbull... the boarding school Annika is sent to in The Star of Kazan... Sunnydale High from Buffy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen- yeah, that's the conclusion I reached too. Harry just got lucky with a good room assignment.

    Abby- I'll have to read Daddy Longlegs. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete