Sunday, August 19, 2007

Independent Bookstores

You may have noticed that my list of independent bookstores on the right-hand side of this blog has grown quite a bit. I originally posted my favorite 10-or-so bookstores and wrote about how much I love to visit bookstores when I travel in this post.

Then, I recently posted a query on both the PUBYAC (public librarians serving children and young adult) and child_lit (scholarly discussion of children's literature) listservs. I wanted to know everyone's favorite (non-chain) bookstores that were either exclusively children's bookstores, or bookstores with excellent children's departments.

I was flooded with wonderful suggestions, and the result is that I now have a list of over 80 fabulous bookstores. I just added a link for each bookstore mentioned. They are listed alphabetically by state, city and then the name of the store.

A few other resources:

Booksense has a terrific directory of independent bookstores.

Author Kathleen Duey has a "wonderful bookstores" list which is well worth checking out.

Also, there is a new Internet-only children’s independent bookstore: Through the Magic Door .

I'm always interested in hearing about more wonderful bookstores. If your favorite isn't on my list, either e-mail me or put a note in the comments section of this post.

UPDATE: I now have 90 independent bookstores on my list! Help me reach 100... and let me know what your favorite is.

No comments:

Post a Comment