Friday, January 25, 2008

Poetry Friday: Conquering Mount Kilimanjaro


Two weeks ago, I wrote a post about my brother's trip to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. I received an amazing number of comments filled with support for him... from bloggers, friends and family. My brother told me how touched he was by the post and the reactions.

He just arrived home safely... having successfully reached the summit of the mountain. It was an amazing and arduous trip and I can't wait to hear about it in more detail.

I wrote a poem for him today in honor of his journey.


Conquering Mount Kilimanjaro

This poem is for

anyone who has dared
to go on an adventure

anyone who has journeyed
beyond the boundaries

anyone who has struggled
through unforgiving conditions

anyone who has fulfilled
a long cherished dream

This poem is for my brother

and for anyone who has
conquered their mountain.


The Poetry Friday round-up today is at Mentor Texts, Read Alouds & More.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Susan. I love your poem.

    As you indicated, I got back last night after reaching the summit only a few days ago. The effort was far and away the hardest physical test compared to any of the other endurance events I have done in the past.

    The rewards were equally unmatched as the "Roof of Africa" offered unbelieveable vistas, and a feeling of overpowering personal accomplishment. The entire scene and ordeal was so overwhelming that I openly wept upon reaching the 19,340ft summit.

    I am not yet sure how I will share this event with others. I took literally hundreds of photos and documented my thoughts along the way in 50 pages worth of text in a travel diary. I plan on blending the two into some sort of video production. I will be sure to share with Wizard Wireless.

    BTW, Thank you all for your kind and inspirational words leading up to the trip. Again, Susan thaks for your thoughtfulness, care, concern and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he got home safely.

    Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R.H. Wodiska (a.k.a. my brother)- you're very very welcome. I'm incredibly proud of you, and this is the least I can do!

    Thanks for sharing the beginning of your story on my blog. I can't wait to hear and see more... however you decide to put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly- Thanks so much! I'm glad he got home safely too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this happy ending to your brother's adventure!

    ReplyDelete