- Dog is bored/irritated with something happening in their house. They run away, get lost and miss their safe, comfortable home. When they return, they are delighted to see whatever made them bored/irritated in the first place.
- Dog is happy until cat comes into dog's life. Dog hates cat. (Dog sometimes leaves home because of cat- see plot 1). In the end, dog becomes good friends with said cat.
- Angus and the Cat by Marjorie lack
- Angus Lost by Marjorie Flack
- Buster by Denise Fleming (plots 1 and 2)
- The Great Gracie Chase: Stop That Dog! by Cynthia Rylant, illustrated by Mark Teague
- Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion, illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham
- Nugget & Darling by Barbara M. Joose, illustrated by Sue Truesdell
- Stanley's Wild Ride by Linda Bailey, illustrated by Bill Slavin
See the following books for creative and intriguing treatments:
- Grumpy Gloria by Anna Dewdney
- My Father the Dog by Elizabeth Bluemle, illustrated by Randy Cecil
- Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann
- Widget by Lyn Rossiter McFarland, illustrated by Jim McFarland
- Have I Got Dogs! by William Cole, illustrated by Margot Apple
- Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! by Susan Meyers, illustrated by David Walker
- May I Pet Your Dog?: The How-to Guide for Kids Meeting Dogs (and Dogs Meeting Kids) by Stephanie Calmenson, illustrated by Jan Ormerod
- Diggety Dog, manufactured by International Playthings, Inc.