Sunday, January 20, 2008

Book clubs

You may have noticed I have a poll on the sidebar asking if you've ever been if a book club. Why?

I've always wanted to be in a book club. I love talking about books. I'm currently in library school and it's fabulous to discuss children's books with so many intelligent, literary people. I'd love to do it more regularly (and without having to write papers).

But, I've never been able to find a book club that reads books I'm interested in. 99% of them seem to discuss adult books. And, sure, there are lots of wonderful adult books, but currently for work, school and pleasure, and as a parent; my interest is in children's literature. (See my confession about no longer reading books for adults).

What to do? After years of searching, I've finally decided to start my own book club. If you're in the D.C. area (including Maryland, Virgina and Washington D.C.) and you're interested in children's literature, I'd love to have you join. There's a different genre every month (young adult, mystery, picture books, etc.) and the meetings are designed so that you can come to as few or as many as you like. So, if we're discussing a book you want to read, and the time works for you, you can come to just that meeting.

Do you have any book or genre suggestions? Practical advice? Do you live in the DC area and you'd like to join? Leave a note in the comments or e-mail me at wizardwireless [at] gmail [dot] com.

6 comments:

  1. I wish I were in the area--I would definitely join! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz! And if you ever move move to the area... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been apart of two bookclubs. Both failed miserably. Unfortunatly, I have to say that most people want to only scratch the surface. It soon became very dull.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback, Nessie. I'll keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say that I enjoyed going to a kid-lit oriented book group at A Likely Story in Alexandria, VA when we lived there. But I went to look up the website to link to it and found that they had closed.

    Ah, well. I guess it's a good thing you're starting a book group. Wish I still lived in the area; I'd be there for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of us that were interested in children's services started up a Kids Lit book club in library school... but I'm pretty sure it fell apart after we graduated... Sounds like fun! If I was close, I would totally come!

    ReplyDelete