Monday, November 5, 2007

Great books to re-read

My friend Jody at By the Nightlight wrote a post about books that you always enjoy, no matter how many times you read them.

I started to answer her in the comments section of her blog, but then it got so long that I had to write a separate post about it. I've listed a few recent favorites below... most of them are ones that have been published in the last ten years. For my favorite picture books when I was growing up, see this post.

Here's a short list of books that never get old:
Peggy Rathmann's books: Goodnight Gorilla, Ten Minutes till Bedtime, and of course... Officer Buckle and Gloria.

Sandra Boynton's and Michael Ford's musical books/albums: Dog Train, Blue Moo and Philadelphia Chickens.

David Wiesner's books, particularly Flotsam, The Three Pigs, Tuesday, Sector Seven, Free Fall, June 29, 1999.... okay... all of David Wiesner's books.

Mordecai Gerstein's The Man Who Walked Between the Towers. It moves me every time I read it. For more about it, see my review.

Mo Willems' books, including: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog, and Knuffle Bunny. I wrote a Pigeon review here, and a Knuffle Bunny review here.

Jon Muth's Zen Shorts. I'm crazy about this book.

Oh, there are so many more... but at least this is a start!

Let me take this opportunity to say how incredibly adorable Jody's son is... and how lucky he is to have such a great mom. And I'm very sympathetic to constant re-readings of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Goodnight Moon. I have them memorized too. =)

3 comments:

  1. I very much look forward to reading again...I should be coming home in a few days :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff- You're reading my blog all the way from Iraq? Wow.
    I think I speak for everyone who knows you when I say that we're all thrilled you're coming home soon. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Susan, Wow you're reading my blog---even I hadn't been reading it for the past three months (apologies to my sister who has been posting :)

    Thanks for the post reply to my post. I have to get the Mo Willems books for Ari. I have a lot of credit at two bookstores so I am waiting to use it til Ari gets a bit older or til we have more space for books, whichever comes first :)

    And thanks for the compliment re. Ari. Yes he is adorable. But then again I am a *bit* biased.

    ReplyDelete