Sunday, November 18, 2007

Don't let the pigeon read this post!

Okay, I admit it. I'm a Mo Willems junkie.

Now that I've got that confession out of the way, let me share with you a great interview with Mo posted at Babble, a parenting web site. Thanks to Pirate Ninja Mommy for the link.

My two favorite things about the interview are the picture at the top with the pigeon and the duckling reading a copy of Knuffle Bunny Too... and Trixie Willems' response to her teacher when asked if the Knuffle Bunny books were real stories.

Now that I've started doing storytimes, I seem to be becoming a bigger Mo fan than ever. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog, Knuffle Bunny and Today I Will Fly! are just perfect read alouds. I also like The Pigeon Loves Things that Go and Time to Say Please. I haven't attempted Leonardo the Terrible Monster yet, but I recently saw a colleague do wonders with it. I've read Knuffle Bunny Too aloud- but I find it a bit more difficult.

I'll never measure up to MotherReader in terms of Mo Willems fandom (read this post on The Cybils blog to see what I mean)... but when I took a look at previous posts, I saw that there's a lot more about Mo on this blog than I realized.

Here's what I mean:

In this post about my favorite children's books to re-read, I mention two Pigeons and a Knuffle Bunny.

I list Knuffle Bunny as one of my favorite books to read with my son, in this post about 100 books to read to your child before they start school.

This post contains a great quote from an article Mo wrote.

In this post, I wrote about where to find an incredibly stylish (and cute) Pigeon t-shirt.

I posted some of Mo's early Sesame Street videos.

I wrote a review of Knuffle Bunny and a review of Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.

And I talked about my son's reaction to the Knuffle Bunny video.

Plus I've meet Mo twice... if you count thirty seconds at a book signing, and being in the audience when he was accepting an award. Yeah, you're right, that doesn't really count.

This is more serious than I thought. I might have to give him his own category.

And you thought this blog was just about Harry Potter. =)

2 comments:

  1. And it only gets worse. First you're talking up Mo books and next thing you know you're using his photo as your desktop screen.

    Not that I know anyone who does that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So there's no turning back, huh?

    I haven't gotten to the desktop photo stage yet... but you're right, it's probably only a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete