Assumption Two= It is impossible to guess the plot of any Harry Potter book, because J.K. Rowling surprises me (and everyone else) every time.
Assumption Three= I'm going to post what my guesses are anyway.
Assumption Four= Nobody will make too much fun of me (fingers crossed) on July 22 when it turns out that all my guesses are wrong.
So... disclaimers out of the way... here's what I think. They're not really spoilers (spoilers are when you have actual information about the book, which I don't... although if you haven't read all the books, you might not want to continue reading this post.)
My wild stab-in-the-dark guesses (some of which are based on the scores of J.K. Rowling interviews I've read), in no particular order:
- Time traveling will be involved.
- Harry and Voldemort go "behind the veil" in the Ministry of Magic.
- Regulus Black is not R.A.B.
- The initials R.A.B. have nothing to do with identifying the person they refer to. They refer to an acronym like "Really Amazing Boy".... in the way that the Half Blood Prince didn't refer to an actual "prince."
- My craziest guess that will be wrong... R.A.B. is Snape.
- Snape isn't working for Voldemort or Dumbledore, he's working for himself.
- "Godric's" Hollow has something to do with Godric Gryffindor.
- The mirror that Sirius gave Harry in Book 5 will be REALLY important.
- There is a graveyard at Hogwarts that will be important.
- There is a female ghost at Hogwarts (who has been mentioned twice in passing) and will figure into the plot of Book 7.
- Professor Trelawney really isn't a flake- she's actually a competent fortuneteller.
- My husband's guess: Harry/Trelawney will use Divination to find the Horcruxes.
- The ending will be something no one could have ever predicted, and it will be fabulous.
If you want to make your own predictions... there's a wonderful quiz at The Leaky Cauldron where you can get all your guesses down before the book comes out. If the link to the quiz section doesn't work, go to Leaky's main page and click on quizzes on the left hand side. A word of warning... it's a LONG quiz, so be sure you have some time to do it before you start.
UPDATE: So five of my predictions (out of thirteen) were correct. Not so good... but I'm proud that I got the female ghost prediction right.