Seriously... I have all kinds of spoilers, and don't want to ruin it for you.
Last chance to stop reading.
So you're one of the millions of people who HAVE seen the movie? Okay, you can read on.
First off, great movie. I always have a tough time with the movies because I LOVE the books so much, and its hard for me to watch 900 pages turned into a 2 hour movie. But I thought this movie was good and worth seeing (if you've read the books). If you've only been watching the movies to this point... I think you'd have a really tough time understanding what the heck was going on.
So, in no particular order... here's my comments:
- Cho was the sneak who ratted on Dumbledore's army??!!!
- Grawp was surprisingly cute, not as scary or computery as I expected.
- Luna Lovegood (who was excellent by the way) was surprisingly prominent.
- Percy's part was surprisingly small. Couldn't he have at least appeared in the hearing scene? There was also very little of Draco and Lupin.
- I was so disappointed that they didn't have Harry, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, Neville and Ron all squeeze into the telephone box/visitor's entrance to the Ministry. That would have been a great sight gag.
- Fantastic moment that wasn't in the book- when Harry says to Umbridge in the forest- "you told me not to tell lies, professor."
- Lucius broke the prophecy... I liked that.
- The Dumbledore/Voldemort showdown was terrific and dramatic, but I'm not sure why they cut out some of the wonderful moments from the book- particularly Fawkes swallowing the Avada Kedavra curse. I loved that they kept "It was foolish of you to come here tonight, Tom"... although anyone who hadn't read the books would have had no earthly idea of what that meant.
- There was a lot of Ron and Hermione romantic foreshadowing.
- My husband's comment on Umbridge "She wasn't how I pictured her, but she did manage to completely and totally irritate me, so I guess she did a good job."
- I was the only one in the entire, packed movie theater that laughed when there was a goat in the Hogs Head. Okay, it's an obscure reference, but I thought it was hysterical that they included it in the movie.
- There were a lot of funny sight gags... mostly seeming to involve Filch.
- I understand it was a hot day, but Aunt Petunia's dress was a little...ummm... short.
- Great sight gag about Mr. Weasley getting past the ticket barriers on the London underground.
- Very funny moment when Fudge sees Voldemort at the ministry and says "he's back."
- The Mr. Weasley and the snake scene was a little strange... they cut out St. Mungo's entirely (which I understand was done for time purposes) but it felt awkward and choppy.
- There was more of the D.A. then I was expecting... they were great scenes. Although, why invent a random cute little boy named Nigel? What was wrong with using Dennis Creevey... who is a cute little boy who's actually in the book?
- Kreacher's betrayal never happened.... so why was he in the movie at all?
- Dumbledore's twenty page speech at the end was summed up into four sentences... really, it was Lucius Malfoy who explained the prophecy.
- If the whole point of the Order of the Phoenix is to avoid being seen.... WHY would they fly their brooms right through the London harbor???
I think my favorite thing was seeing the child actors.... and to watch how they've gotten older and grown into their parts. Anyways... good movie.... worth seeing.
You read this post before you saw the movie, didn't you? =) Yeah, that's what I would have done too.