Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Goodreads

I've just started using a website called Goodreads. It's a website where you list the books you're reading (or have read), and see what your friends are reading. It's a great place to get reviews and recommendations.

I've added two links to Goodreads on the sidebar. The first "bookshelf" is for the books that I'm currently reading... which is an interesting mix of books for graduate school, books for work (I'm a children's bookseller) and picture books I read with my son. Here's what it looks like so far:

Widget_logo

I'm noticing that the picture books look a little strange. For example, Bark George, is a long wide book... but for some reason it comes out on the bookshelf as tall and narrow.

My second bookshelf is for books that the DC Kidlit book club is reading. The first book we're reading is The Secret Garden, and I'll update this bookshelf as more books are selected. If you're an adult who lives in the Washington D.C. area and enjoys discussing children's literature and would like to join, please let me know.

Are you on GoodReads? What has your experience with it been? Do you find it useful?

7 comments:

  1. Atthe beginning of January I was mulling over the options for keeping track of my reading; it came down to GoodReads or LibraryThing. I ended up at LibraryThing, which I was already somewhat familiar with, but I love this bookshelf feature over at GoodReads. Maybe I should make the switch. Is it easy to enter your books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny timing-- I was just thinking about doing something like this... will have to investigate more. I'm interested in hearing people's opinions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on Goodreads for almost a year now and I really like it. The thing I like best about it is that it will email your friends' updates to you. I've gotten several of my friends and coworkers to join and it's an easy way for us to read each other's reviews and get recommendations. I'm also on LibraryThing because I love the tagging feature and I find LT to be easier (for me) to keep track of what I've read when.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done much at all with it, but do enjoy getting friends' updates. I've sent a friend request to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anamaria- I'm just figuring Goodreads out. So far, it's been easy to add books. I keep debating between Goodreads and LibraryThing.

    Jennifer- glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about it!

    Abby- Thanks so much. It's great to hear about your experiences.

    Lisa- I just approved your friend request. Looking forward to seeing what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like being able to see what other people are reading (or want to read) and then easily add those books to my list. I've been a litte short on the uptake in terms of entering my own books lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving GoodReads. I'm using it not only as a personal catalog, but also a way to track books I come across everyday at work. Plus, it's fun to see what my friends and coworkers are reading.

    ReplyDelete