Tuesday, December 25, 2007

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

Wizards Wireless is proud to feature its very first guest review. This one comes from my dad, who listened in as a book was being read to his grandson, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think this is the first time my dad has ever given me his opinion about a book, so I felt the occasion was special enough to blog about it.

Here's his review of How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman:

This imaginative book shows children that if one door is closed, they can explore different options. It allows a kid to imagine what it would be like to travel the world. It lets them take a trip on an ocean liner, learn how to speak another language, see how cultures function around the world... all by gathering the necessary ingredients to make a pie. It has a tongue in cheek approach throughout the book, especially at the end.

I agree with my dad. This is a humorous, creative and beautifully illustrated picture book... and the end always makes me laugh. I'd recommend it for ages 3 and up. Give it a try if you don't know it.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon this book quite by accident and bought it. I'd like to see how it works with a storytime crowd-- it seems as if it would be a good read-aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alkelda- I'd be very curious to know if this book works well with a storytime crowd. Let me know if you try it. It has a few long passages that might provoke a bit of fidgeting, but overall I think it would be a good read aloud.

    ReplyDelete