Tuesday, October 23, 2007

One last post about Dumbledore

In the midst of the news that Dumbledore is gay, I've heard a lot of comments from people who feel that J.K. Rowling is revealing too much and that this detail isn't relevant. See the comments section of my round-up post relating to the Dumbledore news.

This made me curious. How do you feel about it? I just added a poll to the sidebar.... I'd love to hear what you think.

I'm happy to share my opinion (which probably won't make me very popular). My feeling is that J.K. Rowling answered a direct question asked by a fan and she gave an answer about her personal concept of the character. I'm okay with it. She's not telling me how to view Dumbledore, she's saying how SHE views him. I don't think she did this for any publicity or political reasons... I think she was just trying to answer the question. (Excuse me, I have to go run for cover now... I know a LOT of people disagree with this).

UPDATE: There are Dumbledore Pride t-shirts for sale already. Wow, that was quick.

J.K. Rowling made a few statements to the press this morning about the uproar her announcement caused. See this post at the Leaky Cauldron for links and quotes.


Okay, so Dumbledore news aside, I thought there were some other great questions asked during the Carnegie Hall event on Friday night. My favorite question (which needs some spoiler space)....

Spoiler

space

if

you

haven't

finished

the

7th

Harry

Potter

book

...was this one:

Question: "When Harry was stabbed by a basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets, since he was a Horcrux shouldn't it have been destroyed then?"

Isn't that a great question? Here's a few others that I liked:

Question: "Does Malfoy owe Harry a debt?"

Question: "How did you decide that Molly Weasley would be the one to finish off Bellatrix?"

Question: "How different would the last two books be if Arthur had been killed in the middle of book five?"

Question: "Is Severus Snape's portrait in the headmaster's office?"

I think these are great Harry Potter discussion questions. Mull them over and then (if you want to) see J.K. Rowling's answers in the Leaky Cauldron transcript.

No comments:

Post a Comment