Sunday, January 9, 2011

On the Eve of the Caldecott Awards

Twas the night before the awards and all through the conference
Librarians were stirring, all full of inference.
The books were placed in the exhibits with care
In hopes that a shiny sticker soon would be there.

The authors were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of phone calls danced in their heads.
And try as they might to take a long nap,
They wondered if awards would fall in their lap.

When up on the Internet there arose such a clatter
They sprang from their beds to see what was the matter.
Away to the blogs they went with a flash,
To read all about the mad, final dash.

To what to their wondering eyes did appear,
But lots of guesses where nothing seemed clear

Now City Dog! Now Country Frog!
Now Amos McGee leaves readers agog!
And Ballet for Martha and Art and Max too!
Will Flora's Windy Day breeze right through?

We'll find out tomorrow in the earliest morn
Which ones met with praise and which ones with scorn
Who won the Caldecott and who won the Printz,
Who won the Newbery and who got jinxed.

The announcements will be made, the winners applauded
The committees all thanked and then lauded
But we all should be happy for 2010
And all the wonderful books. Please authors, do it again!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely, Susan. Looking forward to your reports from the room tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable, Susan! Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite sure how you had time to rhyme AND do all of the things I'm sure you've been doing at the conference today, but I'm glad =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, Susan! I'm linking to it from my blog. I so envy you getting to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks, Susan--this is delightful. I was wondering if you'd make predictions this year. Enjoy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all! It was fun to write. =)
    Here's my thoughts about the Newbery, which I didn't attempt to rhyme:

    Countdown by Deborah Wiles
    Keeper by Kathi Appelt
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams Garcia
    Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
    Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes
    The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan
    Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson
    Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm
    They Called Themselves the KKK by Susan Campbell
    The War to End all Wars by Russell Freedman
    Sugar Changed the World by Marc Aronson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job - can't wait to hear the announcements! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! Someone posted a link on one of my listservs. I've been a bit out of the picture book loop since leaving a K - 8 school and moving to a 5 - 8 grade middle school. I've been ordering as many picture books as I can to stock up my shelves here, though. My motto is, "You're never too old for picture books!" Going to follow now. Counting on you to keep me up to speed.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE IT! There was a lot of excitement in the blog world about the announcement of the awards, but no one captured it quite so well. Wish I would have discovered your site before now! :) Great poem.

    Betsy Parkes
    www.the-best-childrens-books.org

    ReplyDelete