Monday, August 20, 2007

Harry Potter 7: Chapter Ten

Spoiler

space

if

you

haven't

finished

reading

Chapter

Ten.


Chapter Ten: Kreacher’s Tale

Picture: I loved the photograph of Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs. At first glance, I thought Harry was in the picture, but then I noticed that it was James. It's a very subtle difference.

Most memorable:
The letter from Lily to Sirius. It was such a magical thing for an orphan like Harry to find.

-Harry, Ron and Hermione figuring out who R.A.B. was and the awful realization that they had thrown the locket in the trash.

-The images of Voldemort, Kreacher and Regulus in the cave. Before I read the book, I couldn’t imagine how on earth Regulus would have figured out about the cave, but the explanation Kreacher gave made perfect sense.

-The way Regulus sacrificed his own life to save Kreacher and stop Voldemort.

-Kreacher with tears in his eyes.

-Harry giving Regulus’ locket to Kreacher.

Worth pointing out:
-Petunia cares about Lily more than she lets on. In Lily’s letter to Sirius, it is mentioned that Petunia gave Lily a vase for Christmas (which Harry later smashed while tooling around on his broomstick). Although Petunia publicly acts as through she doesn’t have a sister… she still cares enough to send Christmas presents.

-Regulus Black is very similar to Draco Malfoy. They were both Slytherins, they were both Quidditch Seekers, they both became Death Eaters when they were 16, and they both got in over their head. Actually, they’re related too… I think they are second cousins.

Connection to previous books:
-If you have the Scholastic editions, compare R.A.B.’s letter (Half Blood Prince hardcover, pg. 609) to the note on Regulus door (Deathly Hallows, pg. 186). Both notes appear in the same handwriting font… which is a clue that Regulus is R.A.B. Thanks to Cheryl at Brooklyn Arden (who was one of the editors of the Scholastic edition) for pointing this out.
**Warning: don't read Cheryl's posts until you've finished the whole book.

-It’s interesting that Sirius gave Harry his first broomstick, because Sirius also gave Harry the Firebolt in Book 3.

Favorite quote:
Harry wanders into Sirius’ room while Ron and Hermione are still asleep. Hermione bursts into Sirius’ room and finds Harry.
“We woke up and didn’t know where you were!” she said breathlessly.
“Ron! I’ve found him!”
Ron’s annoyed voice echoed distantly from several floors below.
“Good! Tell him from me he’s a git!” (Scholastic hardcover, page 183)

3 comments:

  1. First of all I'd like to say that I love your blog, even though I just discovered it last night.I love your chapter by chapter discription of Deathly Hallows. It's truly fantastic.Ok, now back to the reqason I'm writing you. We spoke last night at a discussion of Deathly Hallows at the library. As I was passing by on my way out, I overheard you telling the librarian that it had been your third discussion of the book. As I am new to the area and don't know it well, I was wondering if you would be willing to post the different locations in our area that are holding discussions on Deathly Hollows. It would be a great help to me as well as anyone else who lives in the area to have a one-stop source for the many locations holding such discussions. You may post your reply to this comment on your blog as I will be checking in everyday to see your new posts...as I said...I love your blog!
    Thank You.

    Sincerely,
    PotterManiac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PotterManiac! Thanks so much for the wonderful compliments. Last night's library discussion was fantastic. Yes, it was my third Deathly Hallows discussion, but the other two were informal parties.

    I only know of one upcoming public discussion: Sunday, August 26th at 6 pm at Politics and Prose Bookstore.

    E-mail me at wizardwireless@gmail.com and I'll be happy to pass on more local information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot. I look forward to going. I just can't get enough of it! Most of the people I hang out with aren't as into Potter as I am, so it's good to go to chats and let it out.Thanks again.

    PotterManiac

    ReplyDelete