Friday, June 29, 2007

Board books for babies

I'm sure this will be the first post of many on this topic.... because I'm very opinionated about it.
Why? Because when I had a baby, I got lots and lots of board books (from friends, from the library, from the bookstore, from the library bookstore etc.) Which can be wonderful.
But my baby wasn't really interested in them.... they were mostly repackaged versions of other books that are incredibly popular such as Guess How Much I Love You and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. They were too long (sometimes more than a sentence per page... which asks a lot of a baby's attention span) and neither of us were enjoying the reading experience very much. Which broke my heart, because I had always heard you should read to your child from a young age- and I always wanted to read to my child- and here I had a child who couldn't care less about books.

Then, my friend Danielle recommended Fuzzy Fuzzy Fuzzy! a touch, skritch, & tickle book by Sandra Boynton. It was the first time my son was actually independently interested in a book... he crawled over to feel the cover. And suddenly... I realized that I needed to find books written for babies. And so began a quest... and I ended up writing a rather longish paper about board books for library school. I'll post the board books in the links section that I think really work for babies (I've field tested them all carefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment